General Electric Company
Wind Turbine Research and Development Laboratory and Test Facility
General Electric (GE) is an international energy company, with a one-of-a-kind research facility located in Greenville, SC. GE reached out to THS Constructors for help with the construction of their new wind turbine research and development laboratory and test facility.
Scope of Work:
- Installation of five-foot-thick impact slabs for high-stress, high-load requirements of the mechanical testing
- Installation of a high-load 13,200-volt switchgear that serves one 7.8 MW transformer and two 3.5 MW transformers
- Addition of a 60-ton crane bay with a 5,000-square-foot, five-foot-deep, heavily reinforced mat foundation with five-inch-thick sole plates and more than 140 two-inch diameter threaded tie-rods embedded in the foundation
- Addition of a 50-ton crane bay with six-inch and eight-inch sole plates and tie-rods for gear box testing operations
- Addition of space for testing the microstructure, electromagnetic interference, and electrical characteristics of the turbine generators and components
THS has always met the schedule and quality demands of General Electric. THS is a favored contractor at the GE campus.